Spawning a 12 pulser

Original poster: "Finn Hammer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <f-h-at-c.dk>

Guys!

I decided that, since this is perhaps going to be the last transformer
that I wind, (in these fast moving OLTC days :o)  ) I would be a
complete a**, if I did not wind it to conform with a 12 pulse supply,
even though I have quite a few questions about it. I`l take one at a
time.

Looking at this link:

http://www.elec-toolbox-dot-com/usefulinfo/xfmr-3ph.htm

I am informed, that it is a bad thing to run a 3-phase transformer in
WTE-WYE mode. That means connecting both the primary windings as well as
the secondary windings in WYE, or "star" as we say overhere, due to
problems with "harmonichs" and balancing.

The 12 pulser transformer has secondaries connected in both WYE as well
as Delta, so taking the advise seriously would mean, that I am
restricted to connecting the primary in Delta.

This is not a bad thing all together, but I would get a more versatile
transformer, if I could also hook the primary in WYE, so I need to ask:

Does anybody here know, what these harmonic and balancing problems
really mean, can it lead to runaway conditions, is it a serious problem
or just some theoretical nitty gritty?

Cheers, Finn Hammer