Re: Tesla and diathermy machines

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kreld-at-juno-dot-com>

HI John

  I bought 6 different types of diathermy, electric scalpel, coagulating
machines this Summer from my favorite salvage place, lot's of good parts.
 Two of the units are tube power oscillator/spark gap types, that is it
is switchable between the tube/spark gap.  The spark gap is a standart
tungsted multiple gap using a different winding on the power transformer
than the tube power supply uses.

Several others are 7 mHz  tube type using air core transformers.  They
use a power oscillator and power amp stage that will strike about a 1/4"
arc from the output leads.  Another is a 500 watt solidstate with
variable power level.  These are neat devices. I have one on my web page.
www.flash-dot-net/~kreld/kevin's.htm  under the Misc. page.  It is the 2
stage tube type 7 mHz model.

  If your tube are not lighting up, ck the tube heaters for opens, they
operate from a standard power transformer at low voltage as any tube type
equipment would.  Also there are several safety interlocks on the unit.
If you have a panel off, or access open, this may cut off power the unit.
 Some models rectify the high voltage power for the tubes, some don't.
Be carefull, the high voltage power transformer has moderate current and
could be leathal with body contact.

Coiling in Oklahoma

Kevin E.

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 13:05:29 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><Mildewhaus-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>Hi guys! I recently bought an old short wave diathermy machine. I
>understand
>that befor the tube short wave machines,the machines were powered by a
>spark
>gap and Tesla coil.Does anyone have working knowledge of the Tesla
>model, and
>better yet the tube model.Mine has a large transformer(induction?) in
>the
>bottom.I can't get the tubes to "fire up". Any help? Thank you all
>

>   john in nyc

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/web/.