Re: Tesla and diathermy machines

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

<Mildewhaus-at-aol-dot-com>

> Hi guys! I recently bought an old short wave diathermy machine. I understand
> that befor the tube short wave machines,the machines were powered by a spark
> gap and Tesla coil.Does anyone have working knowledge of the Tesla model, and
> better yet the tube model.Mine has a large transformer(induction?) in the
> bottom.I can't get the tubes to "fire up". Any help? Thank you all

There is an old Tesla type diathermy machine in my university, that I
intend to restore some day:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/diaterm.jpg
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/diaterm1.jpg
It is exactly as a Tesla coil, with relatively small spiral primary
and secondary coils. The handle at the center moves one in relation
to the other. The structure at the right side is an elaborated
water-cooled spark gap. Inside the cabinet there is a high-voltage
transformer and capacitors.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz