Re: A question about SSTC tuning

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

Alex (& all)-

Either 0 or 180 depending upon the relative winding directions of the
primary & secondary.  I incorporate a set-up switch to select 0 or 180
phase, taking either the input or the output of an inverting amplifier
for the purpose.

For the amplification, I am just using several 5V CMOS inverting logic
gates daisy-chained, capacitively coupled and "linearized" using input-
and feedback-resistors.  The output of the last one of those is
essentially a rail-to-rail square wave and that then feeds to several
additional logic gates for phase selection, on-off gating and MOSFET
drive-generation.  I derive a 2-phase 5V pair of signals from that
circuit which drives a gain-of-3.5 H-bridge signal-distributing
amplifier.  The latter, in turn, drives 4 similar (but gain-of-1)
H-bridges that in turn drive the MOSFETs--6 pairs of IRFP460A MOSFETs per
each of the similar bridges.  Interposed between the H-bridges and the
MOSFET groups are isolating transformers and also crossover-controlling
circuits that act to prevent both MOSFETs in each pair from coming on at
the same time.

I've not specifically measured the circuit gain; there's enough to
generate enough noise initially to get the oscillation going and also, of
course, to yield solid square waves for driving the MOSFETs.

I've been offering my design plans for US$30 in the U.S., $35 for
overseas mailing.  It's a lot of printing: 19  pages of circuit
description + 7, 11"x17" CAD-generated drawings.  They are "as-is" plans
and not specific "how to do it" plans.  Contact me off-List if you want a
set.

Ken
Oakland, CA USA