RE: Calculation of PFC Capacitors using LTR Capacitor

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Ed -

The PFC caps are sometimes a nescessity if several LPF NSTs are used in
parallel. For example from the France catalog three 15 KV, 60 ma LPF NSTs
would draw at full load 7.8 x 3 = 23.4 amps and require a 30 amp circuit.
Three HPF NSTs would draw  4.4 x 3 = 13.2 amps and could use a 20 amp
circuit.

The LPF NSTs each draw 890 VA at full load and the HPF draws 495 VA. I
estimate you would need about 100 uf for each LPF NST to bring them up to
the HPF 495 VA input level. You would then be able to use the three LPF NSTs
on a 20 amp circuit. Using the LPF and PFC caps would normally be cheaper
than using the HPF NSTs which cost more than the LPF. The alternative is to
install a new 30 amp circuit. In fact the HPF NSTs would have 100 uf caps(?)
installed internally to bring them up to the HPF level.

John Couture