Re: RE: New Inductance Formula

Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>

Dave,

>>For what it's worth, Acmi predicted 12.0mH
and JavaTC predicted 11.8mH
>(Wheeler). From my inductance measurements
and from my perspective, I am
>unable to ascertain why there's an issue.

I second this

>I came up with 8.419mH based on a calculated
wire length of 1090.511 ft.
>How much of a pig tail is on the coil?

a straight wire has very little inductance
when compred to a solenoid - there's no way
that you are gonna get  4mH out of a pig tail.

>Keep in mind, my thought is that this formula
calculates inductance for the
>coil at resonance.  Static measurements will
necessarily be higher in a
>solenoid coil due to the impedance of the
coil at the frequency it is being
>tested at.

whilst this is partially true the observed
drop in inductance at resonat frequency is due
to the inductance of the coil being shunted by
the reactance of the self capacitance - not as
you suggest due to any fundamental change in
the inductance.

>  I'm not saying the full amount is
impedance, though.  It is
>quite possible that the formula may still
need to account for something else
>such as wire gage, molecular material, or
some other characteristic of the
>coil.

for goodness sake, inductance is not affected
by what the current is passing through - a
beam of electrons in a vacuum has an
inductance the same as an equvelant straight
wire for example, all that matters is the
geometry. And what on earth is a 'molecular
material' anyway.

>I'm just excited that it produces a close
number AND in the correct units.

so would a whole bunch of other formula - it
doesnt necessarily make them right though. You
also seem to have disregarded the fact that
Wheeler produces correct units as well - as
someone has already explained perfectly
clearly, in terms of the equivalent reactance
of the capactance of a sphere.

>Thanks for your feedback.
>
>Dave

My pleasure entirely