From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 9:14 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: New Inductance Formula

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Ed,

>Wheeler's formulae (there are several) are usually known as Wheeler's
approximations, and were developed during "slide rule days" as a convenient
and simple tool for radio engineers, who seldom need an accuracy of as great
as 1%.

Wheeler's formulas have served us well for quite a while.  I'm not disputing
that nor am I disrespectful of his contribution.

>Quite recently a guy named Lundin (?) worked out fairly simple expressions
giving an accuracy of better than a part in 300,000.

I'd like to see that formula.  If you or anyone else knows where to find it
please post it to the list.

>By the way, I believe the dimension of inductance is indeed length,
(centimeters in the old cgs system) though don't have time to look that up
right now.

The dimensions of inductance in the MKS system are kg*m^2/coul^2.  In the SI
system it is kg*m^2/s^2*A^2.  In the cgs system it is sec^2/cm.

Dave