Re: "New Inductance Formula"

Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>

28/04/2002 00:48:07, "Tesla list"
<tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

>Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry
Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

>Tesla list wrote:
>>
>> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><jim-at-jlproduction-dot-com>
>>
>> My God,
>> Do ANY of you guys really understand all
that???
>> :)
>> Jim
>
>	Nope!  Way over beyond my understanding.
>
>Ed

Jim,Ed, All

If you read it carefully and disect the
nonsense you only need A-Level physics and
Maths to interpret it, the problem is that it
is based on a slightly flawed resoning that if
you don't understnd the units involved then
the formaula that has been used for many years
without hitch and was derived by one of the
top minds of the day must be wrong and that
you should write a new one. I didnt follow the
math particularly carefully but it looks
suspect to say the least - what the
'conductance of free space' has to do with the
inductance of something in it escapes me -
anyway the conductance quoted (2.112E-4
siemens(mhos in modern units) is equal to a
resistance of about 4700 ohms (per what unit i
have no idea - conductance is a property of a
discrete object rather than a 'substance' such
as the 'aether' [sic - ether]) this is held
out by the experiemntal observation that it
appers to be out by a factor of about 500
where as Wheeler gets you to within less than
1%. The only way to get better than this is to
use an infinite series, which i believe is
what Wheeler is an approximation to - if it
were really as simple as a linear formaula
derived from the basic units you would have
though somebody would alredy have noticed it
by no wouldnt you...

Dont get me wrong, theres nothing better for
ones understanding of a mathematical formaula
than to attempt to derive it from first
principals,but at least try to understand the
principles and if (when) it doesnt work out
dont bother to publish it.

just my 2c

regards and respect to all

Alex

terry - if this is deemed to be just an
irrelevent continuation of a largely irelevant
topic, then kill it or snip the dull bits but
i do think that if people insist on posting
stuff like this for public auditing then that
is what should happen.

>>We can cetainly comment on a new formulas presented here.  That is how we
can all decide if it is valid or not.  If there are errors or inaccuracies
there is no shame.  Goodness knows even "i" have posted some quite flawed
"new" equations in my time :-))  but only by us all taking a look at it can
we see if it is of use to us. - Terry<<