Re: flat coil ?

Hi Chris,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Chris Swinson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <exxos-at-cps-games.co.uk>

> I did do some coil calcs with tesla coil program, and indeed if you wound a
> coil 400" in dia and 3" high with the same length of wire then you can gain
> a very high Cself.

Actually, the other direction will gain a high Cself (400" height  and 3"
dia. [high hd]).

>  Its interesting that there can be so many possible
> combinations for L and  C  with the same length of wire. I wish I could try
> such a high Cself coil, Would probably have to use the outside of the house
> for a form that large though :)

If you think about cap construction (number of plates, surface area,
insulation thickness), all that
changes with these different geometry's which is why you get such a high
Cself. It would be fun to do
it just for giggles, but it's just physically impractical. Something else
which you might find
interesting is how low Fres goes. Part of the "impracticality" is the
primary circuit. You would end up
requiring a tank cap around 1000uF for dual-tuned resonance. Can you
imagine what it would take to
charge such an enormous hv cap.

Take care,
Bart