Re: Tesla Diodes home made?

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>

> All
>         I think that whilst this would work in
> principle there would be a few problems, at TC
> frequencies the capacitance of such a device
> may well mean that significant AC power was
> transferred across the gap, also at such a
> high voltage the device would have to be
> physically large - i presume that the gap
> between the needle point and the inside of the
> sphere would need to be a significant
> proportion of the maximium arc length. Maybee
> several much smaller devices in series would
> be good.
>
> Why you would want DC at these kinds of
> voltages is beyond me - a lin ac maybee but
> even so, surely a Van de Graff generator would
> be easier!
>
> just my ha'penny (2c)
>
> alex

	The rectifier in such a system must withstand twice the peak voltage of
the coil without breakdown, so the spacing would have to be very wide.
I have no doubt that rectification would take place and the general
consensus that the well known residual charge on varnished TC's is due
to recification by dissimilar terminals.

Ed