Re: flat coil ?

Hi Chris,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Chris Swinson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <exxos-at-cps-games.co.uk>

> Hi Bart,
>
> I think im missing the point, what do you mean by "in the other direction"
> for Cself ? They way I work things is that they are the same for say 40"
> high coils to flat coils, inductance looks a little more with flat coils.
> It looks like Cself is the same for both flat and tube coils, just confused
> me with what you stated :-\
>
> chris

Sorry if I confused you. In the other direction meant increasing the hd
ratio. I don't see a comparison
of solenoid length to spiral width meaningful if you only select one length
to compare by. If you were
to compare solenoid C or L to spiral C or L, then there should be a
commonality (wire length is a real
good one). At that point, you have to look at all the geometric
possibilites keeping wire length
unchanged and leaving turns, tpi, and hd as the variables. Keep in mind
comparisons like this have
boundary's of practicality (I could wind a very high capacitance solenoid
with the same length of wire,
but an hd of 500:1 is obvioulsy not practical, which is why I started at
5:1, worked down, and just
commented on hd in the other direction).

Take care,
Bart