Re: More on spark delay

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

<Kchdlh-at-aol-dot-com>

> Nowadays, I'd think an easier way to gauge the spark's progress might be
with a
> string of fiber-optic cable-ends placed near the spark path.  Collimate each
> one so that its field of view is restricted horizontally.  At the other
ends of
> the cables, use PIN (?) diodes or the like to generate signals that can
then be
> displayed on a sync'ed scope.  Display at the same time the toriod's voltage
> envelope--and there you have it.

A lens observing the spark, or a section of it, with a fast photodiode
at the focus could work too. I warn you that the electromagnetic
interference generated by the spark can easily produce all sorts of
artifacts, even at some distance...

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz