Re: More on spark delay

Hi Ken,

On 23 Apr 2002, at 13:52, Tesla list wrote:

> [...]
> > <Kchdlh-at-aol-dot-com>
> > >
> > > I've put forth my hypothesis more than once that the relatively high
> > > rate-of-rise of spark-gap-coil voltage is the reason that spark-gap
> > sparks are
> > > longer than SSTC sparks.  I've proposed that that high rate allows the
> > toroid
> > > voltage to rise higher during the time it takes for the spark to
propagate.

> > > That time period exists due to the necessity to heat and displace the air
> > along
> > > the spark's path.
> > >
> > > The notion has received scant attention.  I may be repeating myself but
> > here's
> > > an observation I just made today:   In my SSTC, the toroid voltage's
rise &
> > > fall is extremely stable from spark to spark.  So, I can sync the
scope to
> > it
> > > and accurately gauge the rise and fall.  I find, at commencement of the
> > spark,
> > > that the toroid voltage falls abruptly, at first, to about 70% of the
level
> > > that it holds during the remaining 5 milliseconds of the spark's
duration.

> > Just to be clear; is that 70% of the initial voltage or ?  The drop
> > is to be expected of course. A drop of that magnitude suggests that
> > 50% of the energy in the top capacitance is being dissipated.
>

> See my other posting of today.
>

> > > That fall seems to take place well within 1 cycle of the excitation,
which
> > is
> > > at ~140 KHz , and it always occurs at a negative half-cycle
(indicating to
> > me
> > > that the spark initiates when the toroid is 'crowded" with electrons and
> > not
> > > otherwise).  It then takes just about 100 microseconds longer for the
> > voltage
> > > to decline further to the steady level.
> > >
> > > Clearly, at the instant of the 30% drop, the impedance of the initial
> > spark has
> > > appeared in parallel with the impedance of the capacitance between the
> > toroid
> > > and ground.  But at the end of that instant, the spark impedance is still
> > > relatively high since its presence in the series circuit of
> > > ground/secondary/toroid:ground capacitance/ground (across "toroid:ground
> > > capacitance") has diminished the toroid voltage by only that 30%.  The
> > spark
> > > impedance then relatively-slowly decreases during the following 100 us,
> > causing
> > > the toroid voltage to correspondingly diminish.
> >
> > Which supports the observation of prolonged ringing for air streamers
> > and a still rather high loaded Q under those conditions.
>

> I agree as to the Q; but I don't understand "prolonged ringing for air

The difference between an air streamer which still allows the
secondary to retain much of its energy as seen in ongoing ringing and
energy trades, and a spark to grounded object which stops ringing
more-or-less dead in its tracks.

> > > So my supposition remains:  It is the capability of spark-gap systems to
> > > deliver higher power during the (at least first part of) 100 us or so
that
> > > allows for the longer sparks.  And it is the physical/thermal inertia of
> > the
> > > air in the path of the spark that causes the 100-us phenomenon to exist.
> >
> > I've heard the phrase about the abrupt rise of terminal voltage prior
> > to breakout as akin to "shocking the air" or something similar. So
> > what happens if the system is operated on the edge of breakout? Of
> > course, further powerful shocks in the form of subsequent ringups
> > would do the lengthening trick alright. Single shot would probably do
> > no better than a slow ringup to breakout voltage. Indeed, my largest
> > disruptive coil stretches five times further when repetitively fired
> > than it appears to do when sshotted. I say "appears" because there is
> > a distinct possibility that streamers which would be visible under
> > only the darkest conditions streatch out a good deal further. I have
> > observed this phenomenon more than once.
>

> Very interesting about the single-shot length vs. repetitive; I don't
know why
> that would (seem to) be.  Your gap's behavior may have a bit to do with it
> although it possibly is the case that just 1 shot , from a disruptive
coil, may
> not give much of a visible spark.  My ~5 ms duration yields quite a fat,
bushy
> one--albeit relatively short.

It is a well worn observation that repetitive hammering of the air
lengthens streamers well beyond the length obtained in single shot
mode. An example: Electrum gives a bushy single-rooted air streamer
about 7' in length when breakout voltage is just exceeded in single
shot mode, but can send a connecting spark out around 40' or more in
repetitive running. Each succesive shot makes use of the hot air path
of its predecessor.

> It seems to me that your "ringup to breakout", given identical gap and
> primary-charging behavior, is going to be the same from spark to
spark--unless
> your repetition rate is fast enough so that the air's heating does not
> substantially dissipate between sparks.  When that heating remains, I'd think
> that your sparks would tend to congregate along the same path.  Perhaps you
> observe this?

Absolutely.

> As to operating "on the edge of breakout", don't know quite what you mean...
> If no breakout, no spark except, perhaps, for wispy "leaders".  Those leaders
> would not heat or displace air, appreciably, so likely they would not much
> affect any subsequent large sparks.

Right. By "on the edge of breakout" I mean an attained terminal
voltage which just allows breakout given the ROC of the terminal.
    I hope this is clearer.

Regards,
malcolm