Re: More on spark delay

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

Ken,
    thanks for the clarifications.

I'ld REALLY like to match up your SSTC with a streak-photograph of the spark
formation!!! (I've got the machine shop to make the streak-camera (and I've
built a turbine engine, so high RPMs are not an issue), but..., my girlfriend
just moved in and there are so many boxes around the house and shop that I
can't even get to anything right now... :-)))

I can only wonder and speculate about whats happening during those:

32 cycles ring up
1 cycle break out (people say feeder sparks grow in nano-seconds, not 7us)
15 cycle ring down
700 cycle steady ringing

? how much energy is built up in 32 cycles, and how much expended in that
  first 30% drop in Vp-p

? how far does the spark grow in that first (nano seconds) break out, during
  the 15 cycle ring down, during the 700 cycle steady ringing

? how much corona develops around the spark during the 15 cycle ring down,
  during the 700 cycle steady ringing

? how much brighter does the spark get during...

? what happens after the 748 cycles, do you stop feeding input or does the
  spark extinquish by itself (if so why)

? what would happen if you pumped your TC for only 33 cycles, for 33+15 cycles,
  for 48+... cycles

? is the SSTC different from SGTC because of long ring up time, if so can we
  simulate this with a SGTC with a really low K coupling value (one could do
  this experiment with a SGTC by raising the secondary a bunch of inches - but
  then will gap losses start to eat up so much energy that comparisons are
  meaningless?)

?

so many questions, so little time...!!!

-Peter Lawrence.

(ps,
 A comment about the notion of inertial confinement, the air heats up as
 a consequence of the current flowing through it, this lowers its
 resistance and a higher current brighter spark forms. But from basic
 physics the _expansion_ of the air/plasma actually _cools_ it. I'm not
 saying that inertial confinement cannot be having an effect, I just don't
 myself see how it would. The lowering of resistance of the air is not a
 function of it expanding, at least as I see it. Perhaps high pressure plasma
 does have a high resistance compared to 1-Atm, I don't really know, but I
 always presumed that plasma already had disassociated electrons and thus
 low resistance regardless of pressure...?
)

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kchdlh-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>Peter (& all)-
>
>Comments interspersed...
>
>[snipped]
>

>> Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
>> <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>
>>
>> Ken,
>>     certainly some of the more interesting observations to surface recently
>>
>> first lets see if we have the time-base correct:
>>
>> 140KHz -> 7.1us AC cycle time.  100us = 14 cycles.  5ms = 704 cycles.
>>
>> your wording below leaves me totally confused, can you fill in a simple
>> time line with voltages:
>>
>> cycle voltage
>> 0     100%
>> 1     70%  (aka a "30% drop")
>> 2
>> 3
>> 14    ??? stable value ???
>

>Right--  I'll try to be clearer this time:
>
>1.  Rise to breakout voltage (Vp-p), ~230 microseconds =~ 32 cycles of
>exact-secondary-Fr excitation.  Breakout is from a polished 6" x 24"
Landergren