series MOTS, pole pigs, etc

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Hello all,

Correct me if I'm wrong but (thinking out loud):

If you series TWO "conventional", non centre or end-tapped, two bushing
transformers, you are overstressing the insulation by two times, right?

But, when seriesing TWO "end-tapped" 2400v MOTs (like the tame MOT
setup), you can create a centre tapped 4800v transformer. Because they
are phased correctly and the winding is centre tapped, they develop a
total potential of 4800v across the HV output with no additional
insulation stress, right?

I'm wondering if I could do this with two 11kV pole pigs? I was thinking
I could ground one of the HV bushings on each pig, and place the
primaries in parallel. This would essentially provide a 22kV centre
tapped transformer with no extra stress on the insulation, right?

Cheers,

Greg Peters
Department of Earth Sciences,
University of Queensland, Australia