RE: FIRST LIGHT

Original poster: "Pete Komen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pkomen-at-zianet-dot-com>

Bart,

Proximity means the state or quality of being near - from my old Webster's
New World Dictionary of the American Language, College Edition.  That is
exactly the opposite of what you meant, I think.  I try not to nitpick
language errors but this one could cause confusion.

Increased proximity means decreased distance or separation.

Regards,

Pete Komen

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Vince,

The voltage standoff spacing between the two adjacent turns and screw is
too close. Charges are
developing between these turns and the screw, thus arcing. Simply increase
the proximity between
turns and screw. Here's what I use:

I get a thin copper tubing strap (hardware store) and flatten it out with a
hammer, drill a hole on
each end, wrap it around the tubing, put a screw through the two drilled
holes, and tighten.
Obviously, the drilled hole distance must be right to provide a nice tight
fit. This keeps the
screw to adjacent turns far enough away to prevent problems. Cost is a
penny or two.

Here's a photo of one of my primary's with this simple clamp. Look at
bottom-right.
http://www.classictesla-dot-com/temp/clamp.jpg

Take care,
Bart