Big MOT stacks

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

MOT coilers,

I have been reading Greg Hunter's page lately regarding his voltage
doubled, seriesed 2 MOT supplies. I am quite impressed. It is probably
the cheapest, easiest 3kVA supply I have seen. I am wondering if anyone
has tried using two of these circuits in parallel (on a single phase),
for a whopping 6kVA. Obviously you would need bigger caps and diodes, if
you wanted to use a single supply. Otherwise you could make two complete
supplies and wire them in parallel after the diodes, but I would prefer
just to series/parallel the tansformers and use bigger caps and diodes.
At power levels this high I guess a static gap would not quench so a
rotary would need to be used - sync or async?. This supply would match
the output of a small piggie, but has the advantage that no current
limiting is needed.

Ultimately, I would like to use 3 of these 6kVA supplies in parallel on
a 3 phase outlet with an async RSG to power my big coil.

Greg Peters
Department of Earth Sciences,
University of Queensland, Australia
Phone: 0402 841 677