Re: Jacketed Coil

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

David,

I once saw a high performance minicoil at a Teslathon about 5 years ago
that used a 1" coilform surrounded by a larger diameter clear plastic
tube, with the space between completely filled with white mineral oil.
The outer diameter of the secondary was perhaps 1.5" in  diameter. The
system was driven by a small unpotted NST, and generated streamers about
24" long - a really sweet little coil!

If you want to stop corona breakout from the top of your secondary, you
should consider adding a small toroid at the top of the winding to help
shape the e-field and shield the top of the winding. Using oil around
the winding helps "spread" the effective diameter of your secondary and
smooth out high e-field stress at the top of your winding. While it will
prevent corona for relatively small spark lengths, I suspect you'll find
that it will not be effective at higher power levels.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>