Re: I need Tesla coil HELP PLEASE

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

> Robert, I have to disagree.  When using a 15/30 NST, a .005 uF cap is just
> about mains-resonant and a perfectly reasonable value to use.

	IF, AND ONLY IF, YOU USE A SAFETY GAP WHICH WILL "JUST BREAK DOWN"
WITHOUT THE CAPACITOR.  Nothing kills an NST much quicker than using a
resonant or close-to-resonant capacitor and opening up the gap to get
bigger and better sparks; it works, but not for long!  Like a lot of
other guys here I learned that the hard way!

> Ten times
> that, or .05 uF, would be much too large for a 15/30 to power.
>
> Back to the original question, I would have to ask just what kind of cap
> was used in the suspect MMC?  No voltage rating, dielectric type, or vendor
> part number was mentioned.  I assume that the .0053uF was the target value
> of the completed MMC, and that the individual caps were rated 0.15uF each?
> (0.15/28=.0053)
>
> Gary Lau
> MA, USA

Ed