Re: FIRST LIGHT

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/17/02 10:46:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > Well I finally did it. Tonight I fired up my 4inch coil for the first time.
> > I'm running dual 12/30 nst's with a RQSG and my Geek group MMC.
> > I tapped into my 14 turn 1/4 inch flat copper primary at the 7th turn.
> > First run was at turn 14 which did not produce any results.
> > I have a question however. I noticed that sparks were jumping on my primary
> > between the tap and the two surrounding turns. Can anyone shed some light
> > on this?
> >
> > Vince

Vince,

I cut two pieces of low density polyethylene about 2.0" wide and 5.0" long.  I
lay one on top of the other then fold it in half and push it down over the tap
clip.  The adjacent primary windings hold it in place.  This is one reason that
I make my primaries with 3/8" spacing between adjacent turns.  Leaves about
1/4" clearance after the tap is in place and the ldpe helps as well.

Ed Sonderman