Re: which coilform parameters best?

Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

All,
> Tesla list wrote:
>
> > >Bart A 5kva pig can put out 10kva. Pigs are very
> rugged
> units................
---
To be theoretically correct ,I must say, that
especially in leakage inductance -tank cap resonant
case with respect to F mains ,a power transformer can
deliver multirating power levels to TC system.
Good for TC ,but bad for transformer.
---

In any respects, you are correct.
> Pigs are rugged and can be
> pushed beyond their
> plate ratings (large coils and 5kva pigs = common to
> push them as the coils
> can handle more power
> and longer sparks are just too tempting).
>
> Assume a 14.4/347 (5kva) pig is pushed to 10kva with
> the 0.1uF cap = 10.4ms
> to charge cap to
> 20362 Vp.
>
> 120 bps = 8.33ms = 19900 cap V = 19.83 joules.
> 240 bps = 4.17ms = 16900 cap V = 14.28 joules.
> 480 bps = 2.08ms = 10955 cap V = 6.04 joules.
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to start with a 10kva pig you
> could push to 20kva? When
> the cap size gets up
> there, I think it would be advantageous to go
> higher, especially if one
> wants to play with faster
> breaks.
---
This is relative again.Depends on stray inductance( +
ballast) and Cp size you deal with.These two make
possible many combinations as concerns same charging
frequency of system.There is case where Cp small and L
large,and case where Cp big and L small giving the
same charging frequency.
Cp small results in higher voltage ,than Cp large.
Energy per bang to be simulated in various situations.
You refer to VA figure ,but what is more important is
W (real power).If one doesn't care about that, may get
very poor overall efficiency of charging system
despite respectable VA levels drawn from mains.

Good example is Heise's 1.5 MV TC.He has powered it by
200 KVA power transformer,and efficiency has been so
low that I doubt he has ever delivered more than 60kw
to TC circuit.

Regards,
Boris