Re: MOT buzzing?

Original poster: "Tim J by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <digital_raven45-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: MOT buzzing?
>Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 17:14:43 -0600
>
>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><Fucian-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>Hey,
>I just tested a 5volt winding on a MOT.I got it up to around 4.22voltsAC
>but
>the MOT buzzes very loudly?Why?The voltage wont climb any more past
>~4voltsAC.Should I just add more turns for the filament?
>
>Matt
Hummm....your output on the 5 volt winding depends on what your input
voltage...my guess is that your not running full input voltage!

If your running exactly 120VAC and still not getting 5 VAC..then I think
your experiencing a problem with the MOT primary! Sounds like you have an
OLD MOT from the sounds of things!! I've had a couple of these before.
MOT's buzz depends on core size** Small MOT's buzz loudly...while bigger
ones output little sound at all, making them REALLY DANGEROUS...you can
never tell if they are energized or not.