RE: pole pig ballast question

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Brad

I don't think it makes much difference which of the two welders is employed.
In fact that adjustable slide just might be a convenient  arrangement for
changing between taps. On the other hand if the adjustable slide is for
changing the position of shunts in the welding transformer, then you would
have a continuously variable ballast. This might allow you to home in on a
particularly good sweet spot. My usage of a multiple tap welder to control
x-ray transformers has not been hampered by the lack of continuously
variable current. I cannot speak from experience in using a welder to
control a pole pig powered tesla coil. The construction of my own pole pig
system seems to be on "permanent" hold. The taps on your Fornet welder
should be set pretty close, thereby you should have no problems.

Godfrey Loudner