Re: vac pumps

Original poster: "marc metlicka by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Kristian Ukkonen by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kristian.ukkonen-at-iki.fi>

> Sorry, but the descriptions below are somewhat flawed.
>
> A good (for example, rotary vane) fore pump (mechanical pump) will
> pump down to about 1 mTorr.
>
> A normal refrigerator compressor will pump down to around dozens of
> Torr, perhaps to 25 Torr.  That is a piston pump.
>
> A diffusion pump will pump decades lower, < 1e-5 torr. Still, there
> is (relatively) LOTS of stuff left at 1e-5 or 1e-10, when one looks
> at the number of molecules hitting each mm2 of the vacuum vessel walls.
>
>   Kristian Ukkonen.
>
> btw: The Sterling-Sihi homepage :
> http://www.sterlingfluidsystems-dot-com/
> Based on quick browse, you propably have liquid-ring pump..

Thank you kristian,
Yes it is a liquid ring pump of the sterling LEM variety. on the home
page it says the best it cab draw is -4 torr? I'm very new to this whole
vacuum technology so have much to learn. I think i will keep two for
myself and sell the other four on ebay? I was hoping i could get a nice
plasma globe vacuum or at least some good cap vacuums?
Thanks to all that have, and will help me on this mystery,
Marc M.