Small coil and Primary

Original poster: "Ben McMillen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <spoonman534-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi all,
  I sent this awhile ago but I don't think I sent it to the
right addy.. (sorry Terry.. it was 2 am.. I dunno what I
was thinking.. ;) )

> Thanks everyone for the help with the oil.. ;)
>
>   I started building a table top coil that I want to
> power with an
> HEI/dimmer setup for the HV supply.. I've wound a
> secondary on a piece of
> 2" PVC with 31GA wire.. winding length is 10" (~1000
> turns if I remember
> correctly).. resonant frequency is about 526KHz with a
> 2.5" doorknob as a
> topload.. Here's what I need to know:
>
> 1. How do I go about measuring the secondary inductance
> of the HEI so that
> I can be sure of being LTR? Does LTR even matter with
> such a small coil? I
> think I remember a site somewhere that had the
> measurements worked out for
> 60Hz and 1KHz..
>
> 2. What is the most efficient primary design for a coil
> of this size? I've
> seen a few coils with a helical primary.. does anyone see
> any problem with
> this?
>
> 3. Would a small NST or OBIT be a better choice for a HV
> supply? I don't
> know how much current an HEI's secondary can put out
> before frying.. If I
> remember correctly, the output power depends on the size
> of the motor run
> cap that's in series with the dimmer and coil..
>
> Again, thanks for any help..
>
> Coiling In Pittsburgh
> Ben McMillen

One more thing..  when figuring out resonant frequency of
the secondary, do you treat the topload and self C of the
coil as being in parallel or series?