Re: hand crank coil for demos

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi Jim / All

> Does anybody have any information on the voltage/current/frequency output
> from the usual "field telephone" hand crank generators?

If they are anything like the generators used in the old Megger testers

(see my recent post on this subject), you could get several hundred to 1kV

without over-strenuous cranking.  However, if the cranking ain't
strenuous, there can't be lot of power going in there - therefore (why
doesn't ASCII have a standard therefore sign?) I don't think there could
be much current in there.  The Meggers use alternators therefore
frequency would be something to do with speed and pole pairs that I
can't quite remember ;-)

Er, perhaps I should whisper this, what with this being a TC list, but
you can get some very impressive results with hand-cranked electrostatic
machines as our friend Dr de Queiroz could doubtless tell us ;-)

Last word - you can generate a high (enough to give a kick) voltage at
miniscule current by cranking a microwave oven turntable motor.  Found
that out by mistake...

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith           |   _     ASCII Ribbon Campaign
IT Consultant           |  ( )  - No HTML/RTF in e-mail