Re: very confused coil results

> nothing is close to anything, the secondary is about 12" away from the
> primary, the ground wire runs under the primary though its spaced and
> insulated. If it was tracking from the primary to ground there would

>be a nice burn mark and a bright flash and a flame.

	Even if it was only leaking 50 mA or so, enough to light the
	7W/240V lamp?

> I know this all to well as it happend before and left a large burn

>mark on the floor which is why I made a better job of it.  I did

>check this about just in case but there is no short or arc there.

	Was it checked in the dark?

> Even so would a current flow to ground at 50hz?

	Why would it not?
	The usual supply is fed from a distribution transformer
	solidly grounded (outside the premises...)

> I did take a measure from mains ground to coil ground and it

>was higher than 20megs.

	I fail to see why.  While having them separated has
	it's purposes, they should, at 'DC', be close to the
	same.

> not short there ?!?!?!

	At the few volts supplied by the ohmmeter for test.
	At mumble KV there may be some leakage.  Only 0.05A
	will light that lamp...  Dos the transformer have
	a center tap, or one end, tied to case?

> so there is no return path to the NST anyway. I could maybe

>understand if it was high frequency might travel across the

>ground (soil) better though 50hz?  Theres no way for it to

>short the other end on the HT side as the only conenction to

>the NST is the spark gap which does not seem to fire and the

>capacitor bank to the primary, the other end of the primary

>to the spark gap of course.

	best
	dwp