Re: very confused coil results

Original poster: "Chris Swinson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <exxos-at-cps-games.co.uk>

> A spark gap is nothing remotely like a capacitor.  A capacitor can store a
> charge, a gap cannot.  A spark relies on ionized air to conduct, a
> capacitor does not.  If there's no ionized air in a gap, there no light,
> sound, no conduction, and no primary operation.
>
> I agree that the only way a bulb can light without the gap firing is if
the
> bulb was connected between the primary and secondary.  Or if there is a
> short between the primary and secondary.

nothing is close to anything, the secondary is about 12" away from the
primary, the ground wire runs under the primary though its spaced and
insulated. If it was tracking from teh primary to ground there would be a
nice burn mark and a bright flash and a flame. I know this all to well as it
happend before and left a large burn mark on the floor which is why I made a
better job of it.  I did check this about just in case but there is no short
or arc there. Even so would a current flow to ground at 50hz ? I did take a
measure from mains ground to coil ground and it was higher than 20megs. not
short there ?!?!?! so there is no return path to the NST anyway. I could
maybe undersand if it was high frequency might travel across the ground (
soil ) better though 50hz ?  Theres no way for it to short the other end on
the HT side as the only conenction to the NST is the spark gap which does
not seem to fire and the capacitor bank to the primary, the other end of the
primary to the spark gap of course.

Chris

> Gary Lau
> MA, USA
>
> Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"