Whatsa a Capacitor (Re: very confused coil results)

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"

> <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

> A spark gap is nothing remotely like a capacitor.

	A non firing spark gap is exactly like a capacitor.
	A very tiny, tiny capacitor.
	Firing, it becomes something else, something unique
	to itself.

> A capacitor can store a charge, a gap cannot.

	A gap can, and does.  But it's a tiny, tiny amount.

> A spark relies on ionized air to conduct, a capacitor does

>not.  If there's no ionized air in a gap, there no light,
> sound, no conduction, and no primary operation.
 	concur...

> I agree that the only way a bulb can light without the gap

>firing is if the bulb was connected between the primary and

>secondary.  Or if there is a short between the primary and

>secondary.

	concur.

	rereading the text at bottom:
	Is it possible that the current was flowing from a leak
	the NST secondary thru some path (possibly a spark?)
	and UP the secondary?

	12W/240v means 50 mA to light the lamp to full
	brilliance, less to visibility...

	(This implies that some of the grounds may not be
	ground....)

	best
	dwp