Re: volts+amps

A small manner of nomenclature:

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "rheidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz

><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

> The volt/amp is a power rating like the watt.

	The volt/amp is the ohm, by definition.
	The VA unit is the volt-amp or volt amp.
	(yes, its a small point, but quite real.)
	(it is convenient, but, perhaps, misleading to
	use the / for punctuation, since its also used
	to indicate division.  Usual engineering usage is
	voltamp, VA or V-A (also confusing, but no one
	would (hopefully) try to subtract.

> The 9/60 can put out 540 watt.

	With luck and a good power factor.  cf adjacent post.

>>Subject: volts+amps
>>
>>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
>><jim-at-jlproduction-dot-com>

>>Hi all,
>>I have a couple of questions that I think someone out there

>>can clear up.
>>What is more important to coil output volts or amps?
>>In other words would a 9KV/60ma NST put out better than a 12/30 for
>>example?
>>(More amps being better although voltage is higher??)
>>
>>Also I see on some sites people mentioning "VA", what is this actually
>>referring to? Volt Amps?
>>For example... my pole pig puts out 4400VA.
>>Would this be 4400 volts or 4400 amps or what?

	Impossible to say from the info given.
	Might be 4400V at 1 A
	Might be 8800V at 0.5A.
	I gently suggest becoming a deal more familiar with
	the unit before powering it up.

	Also, what it puts out will depend on what the load is.
	The VA spec represents a maximum specified available
	output.

	best
	dwp