RE: very confused coil results

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

A spark gap is nothing remotely like a capacitor.  A capacitor can store a
charge, a gap cannot.  A spark relies on ionized air to conduct, a
capacitor does not.  If there's no ionized air in a gap, there no light,
sound, no conduction, and no primary operation.

I agree that the only way a bulb can light without the gap firing is if the
bulb was connected between the primary and secondary.  Or if there is a
short between the primary and secondary.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Chris,

Nikola Tesla remarked in one of his papers that he could tune a coil so well
that no action would be seen at the spark gap, even though the coil was
fully operational.  You got to remember that a spark gap is essentially a
capacitor with air dielectric.  When you run AC in the primary circuit,
power will still be in the primary circuit even though the spark gap appears
to be quiet.

What was the exact wattage of the bulb and was it incandescent or
fluorescent?  Did you have it connected _between_ the secondary and ground?

I'll try replicating this experiment to see what I get.

Dave