Re: volts+amps

In a message dated 4/8/02 4:07:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi all,
> I have a couple of questions that I think someone out there can clear
> up.
> What is more important to coil output volts or amps?
> In other words would a 9KV/60ma NST put out better than a 12/30 for
> example?
> (More amps being better although voltage is higher??)

Jim,

It sounds like you're really asking if power is more important
than voltage.  The answer is yes, the 9/60 NST can give
longer sparks than a 12/30 NST.  For equal power NSTs,
higher voltage is better however, because the losses will
probably be lower.

> Also I see on some sites people mentioning "VA", what is this actually
> referring to? Volt Amps?

Yes, volt amps is simply the voltage times the amperage.
VA will be the same as Wattage, if the power factor = 1.
If the power factor is less than one, due to a reactive component,
then the VA will be higher than the wattage.  The wattage is
the true power, the VA is the apparent power.  The "extra"
current in the VA, when the power factor is less than 1, is
reflected back to the line.  This heats the line, etc, but doesn't
accomplish useful work....  unless you're trying to use this
wasted energy to heat your work area, ho ho     :)

Cheers,
John