RE: A new idea? ...different geometries in coil construction more efficient?

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Where did the notion that primaries are "best" at 18.36 degrees come from?
What defines "best"?

How about a 4-sided pyramid shape for a primary?  I'm sure the ancient
Egyptians must have been on to something there.  Can it be mere coincidence
that my lucky energy crystal also has a pyramid shape?

OK, cynical mode OFF.

Goodness of a primary must be related to how long a spark can be achieved
off of the secondary.  There are two known factors relating to the primary
here.

One is primary losses.  The shape of the primary may have a small influence
here, as it may relate to the recent discussions about inner-turn primary
heating.  The primary Q is surely related to shape, but no one has yet
actually shown that better performance may result from one geometry over an
other.  It may be that the differences are too small to have any observable
effect.

The other is strike distance from the top load.  A conical primary has it's
outer turn closer to the top load than would a flat primary of the same
inductance, and the closer distance makes primary strikes more likely,
limiting the maximum achievable streamer length.

What is not significant to coil performance is the maximum achievable
coupling between primary & secondary.  Now, coupling itself IS important.
If it is too low, performance will be poor.  But any primary shape can be
adjusted to deliver the proper coupling.

Gary Lau
MA, USA