Re: Drying tranny oil

Coffee filters won't remove the most troublesome particles (from a
breakdown sense), those under 10 microns.  Coffee filters will work fine
for getting rid of visible "gunk", but the particles that will cause
trouble are the ones that are too small to see.  They are suspended in the
oil, pretty much uniformly (they don't settle out), and cause small field
concentrations which actually pull more particles together, creating
"bridges" of field enhancement.

On the other hand, if you're not worried about ultimate dielectric
performance, then degunking filters will work fine to prevent mechanical
damage from particles getting in between somewhere critical.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "marc metlicka by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>