Re: Flyback Xfrmr help

Original poster: "Jan Florian Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

> I got a couple of new flyback transformers from Electronics Goldmine for US$
> 3.95. Good deal! The trouble is I don't know how to hook it up. Looking
at the
> bottom of it, there are 8 pins. Can anyone tell me how to hook this thing
up? I
> don't want to let the smoke out ;-)

Typically it is that pair of pins which the least resistance in between.
Just use an ohm-meter / digital multimeter to measure.

By the way, there's no risk of letting the smoke out when you try the 12V
supply + 555 timer + 2n3055 transistor setup. If it's the wrong pins,
nothing will happen. Don't run it from 50/60Hz mains, tho... they like
5 kHz or more.

On most flybacks I've tried it has been the pins 1 and 3 - that is, when
you look directly on the pins, and they're arranged as an U, and the U
opening is pointing towards you, then it is the first pin on the left and
the third from it.

If the flyback is one of those boxed ones, incl rectifier and capacitor
inside, you can expect some 7cm of arcs from 35Vac-at-5kHz or so input.

cheers,
 - Jan

--
 high voltage at http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/tesla