Update - Variation of secondary Q experiment

Original poster: "Terrell W. Fritz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <terrellf-at-qwest-dot-net>

Hi All,

Just an update on the experiment to measure coil Q vs. weather conditions.
It's turning into a quite complex thing :-))

Here is the plan so far...

Two coils (one plastic and one Sonotube) will be set up outdoors exposed to
temperature and humidity (not rain and snow).

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/tssp/3-30/TwoCoils.jpg

These coils will be "pinged" with a 2500 volt step function to extract the
wonderful data from the base current response as Paul discusses in his page at:

www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/tcma

Using the same technology for his secondary current profile work at:

http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/tcma/../tfcp260302/

I am working on a nice timed "pinger" for this:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/tssp/3-30/P3300019.jpg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/tssp/3-30/TCMApinger001.jpg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/tssp/3-30/TCMApinger002.jpg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/tssp/3-30/TCMApinger003.jpg

A Pearson 1:1 current monitor will pickup the base waveform and send them
inside over a long coax to the Tek3012 scope:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/tssp/3-30/scope.jpg

It's new RS-232 card and software (http://www.metratek-dot-com) will send and store
the scope waveform data periodically to my old NT laptop and then onto the
network via Ethernet.  Probably to hot-streamer-dot-com since it has nice FTP and
web server connections.

Then the data will be picked up on the big Sun workstation.  I hope to get
SAMBA going so the Sun looks like a Windows PC on the network...

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/tssp/3-30/sun.jpg

It runs UNIX so it can run Paul's TCMA program directly.

Somehow we will pull the weather data off the little station across the street
and correlate that local weather data with the coil performance data:

http://ccc.atmos.colostate.edu/cgi-bin/wx_form.pl

Once running, it should easily show how weather affects Q.  The programs take
the pinger data and quickly gives incredibly accurate Q measurements of the
fundamental and a few higher resonances.

It's like 75 degrees here today so those 65 to 10 degree days or going fast.
Hopefully spring will hold off a bit longer :-))

All great fun and I get to use most of the toys :o))  also gets me learning the
UNIX stuff for when Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly shreds Microsoft  ;-))

Cheers,

        Terry