Re: Plate cap, literally

Original poster: "Wells Campbell by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <wellscampbell-at-onebox-dot-com>

Andy,

funny you should mention it, I just stacked up one of those a week or
so ago, and haven't even juiced it yet to test it. It's currently under
oil, and I am in the process of mashing bubbles out. one of my MOT's
is sitting on the stack in a bucket, stack covered with oil. I think
I have about 18 foil sheets per side, with 2 plates dielectric. It meters
out at .011uf.

Yeah, I got to thinking about those cups too, how if you flattened the
whole affair it would be more compact. I saw those plates in the grocery,
and just went for it. After looking at the plates, they seem to be constructed
using a few layers of the matertial (styrene?), so flaws would probably
not bridge several layers, however I went with two plates to make sure.

For the foil, I ripped off a stack of about eight sheets at a time, flattened
the stack really well, folded some of the edges to stabilize the stack,
and cut out a circle with an 8" tab out one side for a lead.
cutting the foil must be done very smoothly, with sharp scissors. try
to use long smooth snips, and link up each cut without leaving a notch.
This all makes separating the foil easier. Blowing on the edges of the
sheets also helps separate them.
cost:
8.50 for 80 plates
6.00 or so for oil