Re: Silly question?

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Matthew,
I'm concidering winding a somewhat "super nst" on one of the back to
back, oval shaped, high silicone steel cores that the 40-1 transformers
i found are built with?

http://www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/id26.htm

(top of page one with big taps on it)

They have a 1" x 3" x 12" high x 4.5" inside width gapped cores that are
gapped in the center (like this -00-) 6 sq. in. center leg. I was
thinking of winding each oposing hv bobin for the outside legs of the
"ovals", these would be around 10" long and i could use hevier wire then
an nst (like 22g or something). then put the primary around the back to
back center legs?
With the bobbins being so long, wouldn't the hv stress be lower from
layer to layer? Wouldn't this help with cooling because they would be
reletivly thin?
I was going to wait until i was about ready and then start asking the
list for advice, I found some long rolls of .030" thick polystyrene
sheet that is 22" wide by 100' long and clear, I will buy all five rolls
tomorrow (I also want to build a polystyrene flat plate cap to test in
tc duty with some?) at $4.50 a roll, i don't want to pass it up.
I was thinking about using a layer of this between each wound layer of
the high voltage coils? (if the list thinks it will be a good idea? or
maybe use epoxy on each layer? (i would like it to be a dry type hv
trans. when done?)
It would be nice if i could get around 40kv-at-300ma when finished, would i
need to use shunts to keep it current limited?

I never wound an nst style transformer before, but i think this is a
good core to try it?
There will be more questions as i get ready, i just hope it isn't a
wasted effort because the core style is wrong?
suggestions are apreaciated,
Marc M.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>