Re: Voltagee measurement

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi

Someone stop me if I'm making a daft suggestion but: how about series
resistance and a voltmeter?

Example (not yours - easy figures!):  If we assume a maximum voltage to
be measured of 10kV and your DMM is rated up 1kV AC, we can use your
meter provided that we divide the voltage to be measured by 10.  We
connect 10 x 50MOhm resistors in series, giving an overall resistance of
500MOhm.  (Determine resistor power rating by V^2/R =
100,000,000/50,000,000 = 2W; higher powered resistors would probably be
better because their chunkiness would reduce the risk of flashover)
With ten series resistors of equal value, the voltage across each will
be one tenth of the voltage across the whole string.  So, whatever you
read on your DMM should be multiplied by ten to get the input voltage.

Although I might try this on an NST or the like, I don't think that I'd
fancy hooking this up on the secondary of a Telsa coil; there
could come a point when the resistors would flash over, unless they are
specifically designed for EHT use, or are in an oil bath, etc.

Cheers

Matthew