First Light and More

Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>

Hey all...thanks to everyone for the great suggestions when I first powered
up the coil and got no output. The problem turned out to be a defective lead
to the MMC. I removed the MMC and checked all the connections. Then I
checked all the leads and that's when I found the open lead. I have been
soldering since 1953. But still, never take anything for granted!

So, with a functioning MMC, I powered up Friday night and got 2 foot
streamers. With a bigger topload, I got consistant 3 footers.

Phil Rembold at the No. Texas Teslathon confirmed I needed a bigger topload.
I went from a 4 x 16 to a 6 x 24 with a great improvement. Dryer duct and
pie plates.

But the best news is the fantastic operation of Metlicka's Triggered
Sparkgap!
It is simple, reliable. easy to adjust, and apparently Stupid-Proof.
I will be writing out all  the assembly details and schematics in the next
few days from my present collection of scribbly notes. I'll post them to my
website then for all.

Marc...don't let this go to your head, but, you have got a great system!
Wanna buy a synced motor I won't use?

But with Marc's gap, be ready to wear headphones and welding goggles.
In fact, the new slogan for coilers using the gap is "WHAT?"
Now you can have the noise of a much larger coil.

General specs of the new $6,000,000 Coil...the boring part:

NST: Allanson 15/60 - New...$140
Primary: 16t, 1/4" tubing, 24" diam. Tapped at 10
Cap: two strings of 11 each of C-D .015µF/2K (the Geek caps) on 6x9 Plexi
boards for a total of .028µF LTR
Filter: Terry's MOV board..still going...and going and going
Gap: Marc Metlicka's Trigger Gap. Lutron Fan Dimmer with 20A Motorola Triac
feeding a Wells HEI coil. Three electrodes of 1/8 thoriated tungsten rods in
1/2 x 1/2 brass posts each 4 inches tall. A 250 CFM fan above the three
posts. COOL.
Secondary: 6.25 PVC about 40 inches long.
25" inches of #24 Green wire from Paramount in NJ.
Coated with Tap Plastics 2 part epoxy (thanks Michael Tandy).
Top Load: 6 x 24 dryer duct and 9" pie plates using 3/8 screw into a
RadioShack CB antenna mount.

The above are more than everyone wants to read I'm sure. But there they are.
Photos will be taken soon and posted. I will be glad to answer any questions
about Marc's gap that I can. <Thanks Terry for your testing. It helped sooo
much!>

The coil is installed and functioning just fine in The Hangmans House of
Horrors. I'll be taking photos of that on Wednesday evening.

Well, that is it for now.
Thanks everyone!

Safety First

Ted