Re: GE Transformer ???

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

<rblaisdell-at-juno-dot-com>

> We "found" two GE transformers.  Unknown markings on it.
> The tag said the following
>
> Type JVM 3 Voltage transfomer  35:1 Ratio
> BIL 60kv             Pri. Vol. 4200
> 750VA -at- 30c AMB  or 500VA -at- 55c AMB
> serial #'s 4210360 and 4210362
>
> OK.
> What is BIL?
> What is "-at- 30c AMB" and "-at- 55c AMB"?
>
> Does anybody know anything else about these?
> Thanks in advance
> Ry

Hi Ry...

BIL  is a maximum rating for the breakdown voltage level in the given
container...
e.g. at 60KV the insulating material in the case will breakdown and sparks
will fly :)
BUT this doesnt mean the core can handle such voltages  normally BIL is
used for
lightning strike/surge ratings

30 c AMB   = 30 degrees centigrade higher than ambient temperature    so if
it is 30
degrees centigrade outside air temperature,  the case/container can go to
60 degrees
centigrade inside while the trannie is pulling 750VA.

hope this helps

Scot D