Re: strange charge

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Marc and all...

> While firing my coil (around 33khz)  I placed a short 2' piece of neon
> sign on a ladder around 8' away. After firing the coil with some nice
> blue haze from the ladder and strong hits, i walked over to get the
> bulb, it lit? only for a short time but it lit? Repeatbly?

This sounds like DC electrostatics to me. I think either one of these two:

1. You walk across the floor, gain a charge relative to ground, touch the
bulb, and discharge Marc the walking capacitor through the bulb to ground ; )
(or elevate the bulb itself to YOUR potential)

2. A Tesla Coil CAN leave a charge on isolated metal objects. Try it - prop
up a large piece of metal (TC toploads work great) on an insulator close to
your coil, fire your coil, then touch the insulated metal. Many times you
will recieve a slight little *pop* of DC current to your finger if the
environment is right (which almost always is). The metal must be large and
fairly smooth for this effect. If touched with a flourescent bulb, it will
flash briefly, but brightly.

(All this in the dark)

Test #1 - Fire your coil, then touch the bulb with a grounded wire. If it
lights once, then nothing, the coil is probably doing the work.

Test #2 - Don't fire your coil all day, then touch the bulb with a grounded
wire. Do it again and again. If the bulb does NOT light - the coil might have
something to do with it. If it DOES light, the bulb/ladder is gaining a
charge from something else other than your coil. This is probably the case --
it's really not that weird.

There are many variations of these tests, but you get the point.

What kind of floor are you experiencing this on Marc?
And, is it a fiberglass ladder (insulated from ground) or solid metal
(basically grounded)? Although this probably doesn't matter.

In conclusion: When touched, high voltage breaks down (ionizes) the gas
inside the bulb, current flows, the charge is neutralized for a moment, and
you see the flash of light. Now, why? ; )

Cya,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
G-3 #1150