Re: Spark Gap Concerns

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Ben,

My big & little coils both use single static air blown
gaps made from copper pipe & fittings. The electrodes
darken quickly with a soot-like film that must be
removed with sandpaper or a small steel brush. I used
to worry about this discoloration and remove it
regularly. I gave up after awhile and I haven't
cleaned a spark gap in months. This has not affected
coil performance in any way that I can detect. On the
other hand, my little 9 electrode RQ style gap for a
15/30 NST coil was sensitive to fouling and required
frequent cleaning with sandpaper to prevent loss of
spark length.

Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg