Re: effective k of a magnifier, was TSG advantages

Original poster: "Edward Wingate by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

<FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

> In a message dated 9/3/01 2:56:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>
> > >   Ke = Kd*sqrt(Ls/Lr + Ls)
> >  >
> >  > where Ke is the effective coupling, Kd is the driver coupling,
> >  > Ls is the secondary inductance, and Lr is the resonator
> >  > (extra coil) inductance.
> >  >
> >  > John Freau
> >
> >  John,
> >
> >  For the record, the driver inductance is 13.6 mh, the resonator is 77 mh
> >  and the measured driver/primary coupling factor is .482.
> >
> >  Ed Wingate RATCB
>
> Ed,
>
> Thanks for that info.  So the overall effective coupling of your
> magnifier is then 0.187 which is somewhat looser than
> Richard Hull's Nemesis coil which I remember he said was
> coupled at 0.25 or so.  This explains why you're getting
> first notch quenching.  The looser the effective coupling,
> the easier it is to quench.  Did you use the aiding/bucking L
> method of measuring the k, or the voltage/current method?
> I'm told the aiding/bucking L method, can give an
> error that makes the coupling appear to be tighter than
> it really is.  For instance a k of  0.45 could actually be
> 0.38 or so.
>
> John Freau

John,

I used the aiding/bucking L method and I have been told the same thing
about the possible error factor.

I also think the 12 gap high speed series rotary can be credited to a
large degree for the first notch quenching.

Ed Wingate RATCB