Re: MOT help

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Jonathon,

Regarding your comments below:

MOTs are current limited. They are not limited as
effectively as NSTs or OBITs, but they are most
certainly shunted. I routinely test MOTs by shorting
out the HV lead with an ammeter, and just plugging
them into 120V. They draw lots of current, but it
self-limits in the 15-30A range. An unlimited
transformer wouldn't stop--it would draw current until
the breaker popped. I have a 120V/30A breaker for RV
hookup, so I can run more current than the usual 15 or
20A household breaker.

Next time you have a MOT in your hand, notice that the
primary and secondary coils are wound separately from
each other with a small gap between them. Study that
gap carefully, and you will see the shunts tucked into
the core windows. They are little stacks of
transformer iron pressed in tightly and secured with
some sort of adhesive. If MOTs were "unlimited", they
wouldn't be shunted.

Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg