Re: MOT Help

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

My comments are interspersed with your text below...

> Original poster: "Patrick Bloofon by way of Terry
> Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <transactoid-at-home-dot-com>
>
> Okay, well I took apart that microwave I mentioned
> and pulled out lots of
> neat stuff. I got the transformer, the cap, the
> magnetron and other stuff.

Where's the HV diode?

> I have questions about using the MOT.  I've read
> that it produces about 2 -
> 2.5kv and draws around 500 mA. But I've also read
> that it can draw several
> amps and even blow fuses.  What am I getting
> confused about? Is it safe to

It draws lotsa amps from the 120V wall outlet.
Unballasted MOTs I've tinkered with have drawn
anywhere from 17 to 30A with the secondary shorted to
ground. The 2KV short-circuit output is 500-1000ma
depending on the size of the MOT. My MOT twins put out
750ma.

> just run it "as is" for say, a jacob's ladder
> (though I realize that voltage
> isn't conducive to producing good arcs)?

Don't know. 2kvac can only jump a very narrow gap of
1mm or so. However, I've drawn flaming arcs over 3
inches long by touching a grounded wire (safely taped
to the end of a PVC pipe "wand") to the HV terminal to
strike an arc, and then pulling away slowly. Might be
OK for a "triggered" Jacobs ladder.

> Also, from some of your responses, I checked to see
> if my cap has a resistor
> and diode across it. I couldn't find any such
> external components, but the
> side of the cap has this schematic on it:
>
> http://members.home-dot-net/transactoid/cap.jpg

That schematic is for a half-wave voltage doubler with
a bleeder resistor. Are You saying all that stuff is
inside the MOT cap? I guess it could be. Usually, the
HV diode is external and the bleeder resistor is
inside the cap case. The diode looks like a little
plastic brick or cylinder an inch or two long. It may
have axial wire leads or male spade connectors. It
usually has one lead grounded directly to the oven
jacket.

> Does this mean the bleeder resistor is inside the
> cap? Why is it connected
> to ground as opposed to the other lead from the cap?

The MOT HV winding only offers one HV terminal. The
other lead from the HV winding is tied to the MOT core
(ground). So the discharge path is from ground > thru
MOT secondary coil > thru resistor > back to ground.
So electrically, the resistor is across the cap.

> Thanks.

Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg