electorlytic caps, with a ceramic coating.

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Xyme3-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 10/26/2001 1:48:56 PM, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<< Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/projects/thumper.html

Dischargeing Lytics through a gap (Or BES Switch) causes them to ring back
and forth as the power surges one way, then back. >>

Thanks for the reply. This does explain the problem with electrolytic caps.
>From my readings on electrolytic caps the dielectric is destroyed from
reverse flow.

My readings on Leden jar caps indicate that the glass acts as a dielectric.
Similar to eIectrolytic caps they contain salt water. I have obtained a
ceramic caulk that could be used to coat some stainless steel to form a
dielectric. Would this material act the same as a glass "Lenden jar" type
capacitor?  I have tested the material which bonds readily to stainless
steel, but have not yet tried to use as a cap. I think it is possible that
the material could also be used to make plate type "ac" capacitors. Any
suggestions for experiments?
Paul