What caused capacitor failure?

Original poster: "Brett Error by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bretterror-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Thanks to all on this list.  You've been tremendously helpful, and this
evening I finally got some sparkage as the fruits of my labor.  Worked
great, and even my wife was awed.  She finally understood why all the
effort.

Unfortunately, I've already had a capacitor failure.  Seemingly relevant
specs of the coil:

12kV 60mA NST
MMC Built almost identically to the one Terry describes:
http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/MMCinfo/MMC.html

I used the identical capacitors described ordered from DigiKey.  However, I
only used eight in series as I only needed to support 12kV.  I built three
strings, but only used two of them in parallel for a total capacitance of
.014 microFarads (the transformer matches to .013 microFarads).

I have a RQ-style cylinder spark gap with 10 .28 inch gaps in series.

She ran beautifully for probably 10 minutes of total run time during the
course of several hours (15-second or so at a time).  However, shortly after
lighting her up the last time one of the capacitors split and caught fire.
I immediately shut down the coil.  When I examined the capacitor bank more
closely I found that ALL the capacitors have suffered stress.  They have all
at least cracked their outer coverings, many of them have completely broken
away chunks exposing the foil inside.  Unfortunately, I didn't check the
caps as I went to see if they were gradually failing, or if this was an all
at once, catastrophic thing.  But based on how they look I would guess they
were gradually failing.

Right after failure I checked the other caps and they were not hot... I
don't think the failure was from heat break down.  Instead, from the look of
the other capacitors, it looks like they actually sort of blew themselves
up.

Any ideas what would cause this?  My first guess would be too much voltage
and they really did blow themselves up.  However, the caps are rated at 1600
VDC each, so with 8 in series I should be able to handle 12.8 kV.

How can I prevent this problem in the future?  Needless to say, that was an
awfully expensive 10 minutes (although immensely satisfying).  I'd like to
figure out what I can do to prevent this failure before trying it again.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brett