RE: Your program outputs

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 01:19 PM 21/10/01 -0600, you wrote:

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<couturejh-at-telocity-dot-com>

>Weazle -
>
>What tests have you made to date and what were the results?  I will have
>some info for you shortly for the mutual inductance and K Factor test.
>What other tests are you planning on doing?  You are a rare bird in
>that very few coilers are interested in testing their coils except for
>maximum spark.  Proper testing can be more work and fun than building
>the coil but requires a lot of research.  Good luck in your endeavor.
>
>John Couture

Hi John,

My tests basically so far have been to confirm that the data I got
from the various programs for calculating coil parameters was in
agreement with the actual real coil values...so far, so good.

I did notice that the values of mutual inductance and hence K that
where outputs of your program where substantially different than
the figures I'd measured using your method and also the one that
Terry described some time ago.  I'll have to re-check that just
to be sure it wasn't MY mistake, as math isn't one of my strong
points by any means!

I have an MFJ-259 SWR analyser, as my other hobby is ham radio and
in particular antennas.  The unit is a signal generator, frequency
counter, and SWR/impedence meter all in one box...very handy around
the shop!  Using an accessory for the unit, it can be made to act
like a grid dip meter, so I want to "dip" both my primary and the
secondary to again verify if reality = the computed values.

I enjoy tinkering a lot, and although I got a great deal of fun out
of building my coil, the greatest fun has been experimenting with it
and trying out different things to increase its performance.  I have
always wanted an on-going project and now I've got one.  Of course,
I'm like most coilers (and Tim Allen) and am always sriving for a
wee bit more out of it!!

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca