stun gun psu

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Hello all,
I was just playing around last night when i decided to try the stun gun
my buddies boy gave me to fix for a tc psu.
The gun uses what looks like an odin coil for the hv pulses, I rang the
inductance's of the primary and secondary and found the primary to be
.061mh and the secondary to be 82.6mh. my first thoughts were to try to
match a capacitor to the primary and try it as a tc in itself, i calced
out that i needed .0056uf to resonate? the little spark gap in the unit
could be closed to give about 10 pps and with a 56pf cap i did get a
stronger spark, but not what i expected?
so i decided to build a little 1" coil 5.5" tall and see if i could get
it to spark?
now the interesting part. I used a 10nf ceramic cap, 10kv and with the
10 turn x 2" primary i made it should resonate at turn 8 or so. Well
with everything hooked up i got no output to speak of. I then took the
top primary lead off and allowed it to arc to the primary windings while
i moved it up, down and around the coil to find a sweet spot.
"BOY DID I", at a certain point the arc, instead of the 10 pps, climbed
to hundreds of pps and it pulled so much current through my dc psu that
i blew the 5 amp fuse.
After replacing the fuse i tried again and this time at the spot it rang
up, but this time it tripped the breaker in my panel, 20 amp?
i couldn't believe this little thing could draw so much current?
has anyone messed around with these little things for tc use?
i'm attaching a couple pics of the quickie setup.
It was fun, but totally unexpected for me.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/DCP00932.JPG
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/DCP00933.JPG

Marc M.